The unit-level actions are stored like regularly uploaded survey data, when a new unit-level action is created the system creates a new action-respondent used to store the data of the new action. Thanks to that the setup process of the unit action planning is nearly identical to the setup process of the respondent level action planning.
The difference between the setup of the unit and the respondent level action planning is the “create new action” item in the StoryTeller report, the rest of the process is the same.
In the next chapter "Setup of “Create new action” link in StoryTeller" you will see how to set up the “Create new action” link in the StoryTeller, To see how to setup Forms, Input variables, etc. check the online Knowledge base.
In "Setup of “Create new action” you will learn how these system-level created action-respondents can be deleted, how these are affected by the data activation, raw data exports, etc. In chapter "Action, respondents and Event emails" you see how to handle “response” dates on action respondents in Event emails to avoid sending out “old” Event emails for newly created Report users in ongoing projects.
To add support for creating action from StoryTeller you first need to add the Form report used for entering the action details and then you can add a “Create action” link in a StoryTeller report. The “Create action” link can either be a Text object or an Icon object which is linked to the Form report.
To add a “Create action” link to a StoryTeller report do the following:
- In your StoryTeller report, add the Text/Icon object the users should click to create a new action
- In the “Events” tab in the Text/Icon object (see image further down):
- In the “Click” panel enable the “Link” option
- In the “Link target” list select the “Form report” option
- In the “Report” list select the Form to be used for entering the actions
- In “Select optional filters to be saved on action” select if any of the optional filter selections (including hierarchical filters) should be saved on the action respondent. You can only choose from the Optional filters that are active in the StoryTeller
- Select which data objects, in the current StoryTeller, to be refreshed when the user saves an action. In general, all the data objects displaying action related data needs to be refreshed to show the latest action result after a new action has been created. Data objects not displaying action data do not need to be refreshed as these results are not changed when a new action is added, or an action is changed
Here we see the setup of an “create action” link in an Icon object in the StoryTeller.
Tip, you can also enable the tooltip on hover to for example display a “Create new action” label when the user hovers over the create action icon.
Here we see an example of an added tooltip.
Tip 2, search for “Add” in the Icon library and you will find appropriate icons to use for creating actions.
Here we see the “Add” icons available in the Icon Library.
In order to report on the action respondents, you should include at a minimum one Input date variable in the action Form, so each action respondent has a “Response” date. This Input date variable should then be set as a Response date variable in the project and applied to all data objects displaying action data.
Why? The action respondents will get no date value in the uploaded/default response data variable(s) and all respondents must have a “Response date” in order to be included in any data object. With this logic, the action respondents are always excluded from all data objects displaying survey data results and vice versa as they do not have date values in the same date variables.
A good practice is to add an “Action created” date by creating a Date input variable which you add to a Data field in the Form and apply the setting shown in the image below. With this logic, each action respondent gets an action created date which you use as a Response date in all data objects.
The option to be used in the Data field, in the Form, to get an “Action created” date.