You can use any icon from the Icon and Shape library to visualize the result of the Formatting rules which makes it easier as and more efficient to create tables like the one in the example below as both the result and the icons comes from the same object. Here we have two different examples of using Icons in Formatting rules.
The use of Icons in Formatting rules works in the same way as when applying Icons to significance tests. To use icons in the Formatting rules, do the following:
- Open the Formatting rule window and define the name and expression as always
- Enable the “Select icon from Icon and Shape library”
- Select the desired icon and color through clicking the default circle icon. Now the Icon and shape library opens and the icon selection and belonging settings such as colors, rotation, padding are set.
- Decide the icon size, the default value is 30x30 pixels
- Select the icon position, it can be displayed to the left, centered or to the right in the cell.
Here we see the setup window for defining the icon to be used in the Formatting rules.
Note: as detailed above the position (left, center and right) and the size of the icon can be set and these two in combination can be used to position the icon in any position in the cell. Below are three examples, in all these examples the icon is positioned to the right but by playing with the size (width and height) you see that the icon is positioned differently in the cell.
Note: A cell can only contain one icon so it is not possible to visualize formatting rules with icons if the significance tests is turned on and visualized with icons and vice versa. In those cases either the formatting rules or the significance test visualization has to be done with, for example, values indicated by color or different colored cell backgrounds.Here we have an example where colored values are used to indicate if there are a significant difference and icons are used to highlight if the target has been reached or not.
Note: unfortunately adding icons based on a rank value is not supported.