Note this is a legacy module. Would you like to use the new functionality, please click here.
A project can contain both Variable subsets and Hierarchical Filter units. Once you have your variable subset created there is an option to define or restrict access for Hierarchical Filter to certain variable subsets. To start setting this, go to Variable subset Vs H-filters tab. You can connect one or multiple Variable subsets to a Hierarchical Filter. It is also it possible to define which Variable subsets should be default selected per unit. These settings are only applied to StoryTeller, not to other report types.
Note this is a legacy module which can be found here:
Step by step
1. Go to Variable subsets vs Hierarchical Filter tab, under Reporting objects section.
2. Make sure the option is activated. Select a Hierarchical Filter unit.
3. Selects which Variable subsets to show when the unit is selected.
4. Selects which Variable subsets to set as default selected when the unit is selected. If no settings have been made for a unit, the settings are inherited from the parent unit.
A project can contain both Variable subsets and Hierarchical Filter units. Once you have your variable subset created there is an option to define or restrict access for Hierarchical Filter to certain variable subsets.
If the function for connecting Variable subsets to H-Filter units has been activated, then the content in the Variable subset selection list will reload automatically as soon as a new selection is made in the Hierarchical Filter boxes. The defined default selections will be applied as well. This default behaviour overrides the defaults defined per Report user (when creating a Report user you define which Variable subsets that that should be default selected). If the function has not been activated, then the Variable subset list is not reloaded when changing Hierarchical Filter unit and the Variable subsets defaults should be based in the Report User access rights.
The logic used to determine which Variable subsets to be displayed when the users can choose multiple nodes in the Hierarchical filter is optional. During the setup you can specify whether the Variable subsets connected to any or all selected nodes will be displayed.
See example of the differences below.
Example: the Hierarchical filter, in a StoryTeller report, contains the following 3 nodes;
In the same report there are 5 variable subsets (one for each brand in the survey):
- Brand A
- Brand B
- Brand C
- Brand D
- Brand E
As all the brands are not available in all the markets the subsets are connected to the Hierarchical filter nodes as listed below:
- Brand A – connected to Sweden and Denmark
- Brand B – connected to Sweden and Denmark
- Brand C – connected to Denmark
- Brand D – connected to Sweden and Germany
- Brand E – connected to Sweden and Germany
If the user now selects the nodes Sweden and Denmark the following will happen;
- The subsets Brand A, Brand B, Brand C, Brand D and Brand E appear if it is specified to show the Variable subsets connected to any selected node (the previous used logic)
- The subsets Brand A and Brand B appear if it is specified to show the Variable subsets connected to all selected nodes (the new option)
The selection of which option to be applied is made in the Optional filter setup page, in the Variable subset tab, as shown in the mage below. The new controls appear only if the function “Variable subsets vs hierarchical filters” is activated and if the report contains both Variable subsets and Hierarchical filters.
Here we see the new controls for specifying logic to be used.