The last option under chart styling option is Base size information. You can select to show weighted base, non-weighted base or to leave base hidden.
When calculating a mean value result of a categorical question, an answer like “Don’t know” is usually excluded from the calculation (the setting to exclude an answer from the mean value calculation is made in the Answer block page).
When excluding an answer from the calculation, these respondents are not included in the base size displayed in the chart or when determining if a result should be hidden or not due to a low base size. Changing the setting under base size information you can show a base size that also includes the respondents answering an excluded answer option, like “Don’t know.” This option can be applied to:
- The base size shown in the charts
- The base size used for hiding a result due to low base
- Warning due to low base
The calculation of a result is not affected. The setting only affects the displayed base size and the base size used for hiding/warning due to low base size. The actual mean values are not changed with this setting.
This base size option is shown in the regular selection lists to define if a base size should be shown or not. Since the option can only be applied to mean value calculations of categorical questions, the option is only shown when this calculation type is selected. Also, the new option is shown if any answers in the project have been excluded from the mean value calculation.
Note about the positioning of the base size information:
Depending on the content in the chart the base size will be shown in different places in the charts. The position of the base is defined automatically by the system. The following rules and logic are used;
- Base size shown as suffix to Question text (as shown in chart 1 and 2 below) if;
- no Filter compare or Time compare (day, week, month, quarter, year) is present
- Base size shown as suffix to Filter/Time period compare text (as shown in chart 3 below) if;
- compare if Filters or Time period comparison is present
- Shown in the series (as shown in chart 4 below) if;
- Multiple questions and multiple answers and either Filter compare or Time periods comparison is present
- If Filter Compare and Time period comparison is present
- If Filter Compare is selected in two or more filters Some example images of base size position are shown below - the numbers refer to the list above.
Some example images of base size position are shown below - the numbers refer to the list above.